Now I know all you blog readers are going to be jealous, but I couldn't skip documenting our 2009 Memorial Day weekend, here it goes...
While many of you were at the beach, relaxing with family, just hanging out at home enjoying the weather, Nick, Sophie, and I were enjoying our delux accomodations courtesy of Care First...at the luxurious Howard County General Hospital (pediatrics unit). Yep, sounds like tons of fun (I knew you would be jealous)
Here is the story...
Saturday night Sophie had a stuffy nose, she was grunting, startling herself awake, and just having a little difficulty breathing. Finally around 2am I told Nick that we should call the pediatrician and see if they had any ideas on how to make her more comfortable and actually go to sleep little did I know they would recommend that I take her to the Emergency Room. So, off I go leaving Nick and Carter behind thinking we will get some oxygen, a breathing teatment, and go home to nap all day long. Boy was I ever WRONG!!!
We got to the ER and they saw us right away (Howard County has a separete pediatrics emergency) they took her vitals and found that she had a fever. According to the nurses a fever in a baby her age is not normal. So the tests begin. We started with a boogie test for the flu and RSV. They then needed to test her blood and urine. They take blood and put an IV in at the same time so they only have to poke her once (it took three tries). I will let you imagine how they retrieved a urine sample. When the flu and RSV tests came back negative, meaning she did not have a flu virus, she now had an unexpalined fever so the next step in treating a baby under 8 weeks old is to do a spinal tap. By this time it was 6 am and I hadn't slept more than 2 hours. I was a mess and wanted it all to be over. She did great (I think I cried at least as much as she did) and now we are waiting for the results. Yep, the results take 48 hours. So, we were admitted to the hospital and so far so good. She is being treated for a bacterial infection with antibiotics and is being really, really good. She still has a stuffy nose, but all the test results have come back negative, including the one for spinal meningitis. Needless to say I am exhausted (now I know how comfortable Nick was sleeping at the hospital after I had my babies). We hope to be discharged tomorrow around 9am. We are so thankful to our parents for helping out with Carter while we go back and forth from home to the hospital and are so grateful (again) to the great care Sophie has gotten at the hospital. I have already told her that hospital bracelets are not something that we are going to start collecting! Happy Memorial Day everyone!




4 comments:
OH MY GOSH!!! I can't believe what you're having to deal with! I hope that Sophie feels better SOON-- and that you figure out what's going on. Hang in there!!
OMG!!! I am so impressed by your positive attitude towards what has obviously been a scary and difficult situation. It is never easy to see your child poked and prodded, but its especially hard when they're still so little. Hope Sophie is better soon and hope you get to catch up on all that missed sleep!
HOLY CRAP! Let us know what we can do to help. Maybe bring a dinner? I've been meaning to try a recipe I saw on Rachel Ray.
wow! i can't even imagine going through all that being as sleep deprived as i'm sure you are with a newborn.
Post a Comment